In a medium bowl, mix together eggs, ricotta, and feta. Spanakopita (Greek Spinach Pie) is an essential Greek dish. They provide a certain sweetness which makes the taste a lot better than using spinach only. Herb Cheese Pie Ingredients Checklist Ghee – Or use half olive … I was afraid to try it at first, but turned out so delicious. (Nutrition information is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered an estimate. Foolproof family recipe for Spanakopita! This is a good recipe for Spanikopita, I changed a few things (used butter for layering phyllo), used 1/3 cup of chopped fresh dill and skipped parsley since I didn't have any - also sauteed the onions and a little garlic. Each one was throughly enjoyed. Get our cookbook, free, when you sign up for our newsletter. Ingredients: 8 sheets phyllo dough; 500 gr. Finish cutting into squares and serve. Well, in Greece at least, which many would say is the next best thing to heaven! This is not something we can control on our end, sadly. Delicious served in small … Top with two more sheets, and brush with olive oil. It freezes very well and heats beautifully. But one thing you must do, be sure to drain all liquid from the thawed spinach. Also 4 eggs is a LOT OF EGGS- use 2 and add more of everything else- ESPECIALLY CHEESE. Cover tightly and refrigerate overnight. Insanely delicious and unquestionably healthy, this vegetarian-friendly pie is going to be your new culinary achievement. Hi, Cecile! Spanakopita is a traditional Greek, or Mediterranean dish made of spinach, feta cheese and seasonings, baked in phyllo dough. Stir until all is well-combined. - Thaw phyllo dough properly; too much moisture will make the dough or sheets sticky and hard to manage. To bind everything together, I used four large eggs. Put in a colander to drain. See it at TheMediterraneanDish.com ★☆ Cut the pastry into 30.5x15cm (12x6in) sheets. Soft and tender, made with raw fresh spinach, spring onions, dill, parsley, all finely chopped. Some use butter, but I use quality extra virgin olive oil here instead to keep it light. Not enough cheese and this did not make enough filling for a 13x9 pan! Spinach Cheese Pie at Greek Islands Restaurant "Hippocrates (460 - 370 BC), often referred to as the Father of Medicine, stated, "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." If you do use fresh spinach, you will need to cook it with the onions and garlic, drain, and let cool completely before mixing the filling. Add half of the spinach mixture to each pan in an even layer and press with a spatula to flatten. Your email address will not be published. Spinach mixture should be on the dry side. An Elite CafeMedia Food Publisher.Privacy policy. I used two whole bunches of parsley (parsley stems pack a ton of flavor, by the way, so don't be afraid to throw some in) Then, onions, garlic and a little dry dill weed. Welcome to The Mediterranean Dish, your #1 resource for Mediterranean recipes & lifestyle. Growing up, my mother would make a triangle version ALL the time! -Remember, Phyllo (fillo) sheets will tear, and that's perfectly fine. https://www.yummly.com/recipes/greek-spinach-pie-with-feta-cheese Spanakopita can be made as a "pie" or pita, or as individual phyllo triangles. TIP #2: When she says only cut partway through, this means that if you don't pre-cut it before you bake it, the flaky crust will disintegrate when you try to cut it after you bake it. Thanks for sharing your variation, Silvana! -Do not skimp on the oil, but don't overdo it either. When I was at an Atlanta-area Greek festival a few weeks ago, my daughter's lunch of choice was a piece of spanakopita and a side of Greek salad. I ended up squeezing the spinach by hand a few times until it could no longer produce any liquid. To prevent drying, cover one stack with wax paper and a damp paper towel while working with the other. A delicious pie with the flaky and crispy phyllo layers and a creamy spinach and feta cheese filling, this traditional Greek Spinach Pie (Spanakopita) is perfect as an appetizer or a light meal! You'll need to fold the triangles, which is a bit of extra work, but well worth the effort. 407 Comments. Hi! Thanks for sharing! I'm quite generous with the garlic and cheese, since I feel like that is where the unique delicious flavor comes from. If the pie is frozen when you put it in the oven, you will need approximately 45 minutes of cooking time. Spanakopita: A Greek Spinach Pie With Feta Cheese. I used WAY too much the first time. And be sure follow the tips below for best results. To assemble the spanakopita: Line the baking dish with two sheets of phyllo (fillo) letting them cover the sides of the dish. This recipe makes enough filling for two 9-inch by 12-inch rectangular pans or approximately 100 folded phyllo triangles. Adapting Greek spinach pie. Fold the flaps or excess from the sides, you can crumble them a little. Before I bake it, I score the pastry with a knife so the baked squares will be easy … You can also portion cooked leftover spanakopita and freeze for a later time. Thank you for sharing, Gara. Today, influenced by my mother's tasty kitchen, and my extensive travels, I share easy wholesome recipes with big Mediterranean flavors. Great recipe....very adaptable to more or less as you like. To prepare the filling for this spanakopita recipe, sauté the onions in a large knob of butter until soft … I'm so glad you enjoyed the recipe, Brooke! If you're not familiar with phyllo dough, it is basically layered sheets of tissue-thin pastry dough, typically found in the freezer section next to things like pie crust and puff pastry. ★☆. The best tutorial for how to make spanakopita. On the other hand, I strongly recommend using the leeks. This post may include affiliate links, Please tell me how many blocks of frozen spinach 300g each I nee for the recipe. I used swiss chard instead because we grew so much in our garden and didn't know what to do with it. A holiday recipe for make it for dinner! You need to brush each of the phyllo layers with a little olive oil (see the video as well). I was born and raised in the cosmopolitan Mediterranean city of Port Said, Egypt, a "boat ride" away from places like Italy, Greece, Turkey, Lebanon, Palestine and Israel. It looks like 16 oz = 454g. 2 1/2 pounds fresh spinach (chopped, you can substitute frozen, thawed well), 1/2 cup fresh dill (chopped, or 3 tablespoons dried dill). I had the most delicious Greek spinach pie in Mykonos. Spread spinach mixture over the phyllo. And yes, only use quality feta cheese, no other cheese qualifies for spanakopita. Dec 16, 2015 - Spinach and Cheese Pies from Greece. I did use butter in place of EVOO on the phyllo layers, but followed all other directions exactly. Brush the folded sides well with olive oil. Using a pastry brush, lightly grease two 9- by 12-inch rectangular pans. Customize & buy the Tasty Cookbook here: http://bzfd.it/2fpfeu5 Here is what you'll need! spinach (washed & dried) 500 gr. Add the nutmeg and season with salt and pepper. Spanakopita makes a great side dish for large holiday dinners next to lamb or lemon chicken. Cut Spanakopita ONLY PART-WAY through into squares, or leave the cutting to later. In this easy spanakopita recipe, frozen spinach--fully thawed, of course--is mixed right in with the remaining filling ingredients, no advanced cooking necessary. When I click on the button to go to the video, it just goes to the recipe. Serve it with a big salad like Greek salad; Balela; or this Mediterranean chickpea salad, and favorite dips like Greek Tzatziki or Roasted Garlic Hummus. Add the cooled spinach mixture and mix until combined. Filed Under: Entree, Greek Recipes, How To, Sides and Small Plates, Vegetarian Tagged With: Featured, feta, fillo, greek, holidays, phyllo, pie, savory pie, spanakopita, spinach. So easy. ★☆ Lightly oil an oven pan. Then I spray the top of that half sheet in the pan, and keep repeating on the following layers. Welcome to my table. If you have not tried Spanakopita before, you're in for a treat! Is there a video? ★☆ There is a video located towards the bottom of the post. I have made this recipe a number of times and it comes out a smash hit every time. This Crustless Spinach Pie tastes just like Spanakopita, but without the crispiness of the phyllo. Thanks for the great recipe! The marriage of spinach and feta cheese is one made in heaven. Spanakopita Recipe (Greek Spinach Pie) | The Mediterranean Dish. Often called Spinach and Cheese pie and a great vegetarian Greek dish this feta cheese pie recipe will be an instant family favourite. SO GOOD! My little one describes spanakopita this way, "yummy, crispy cheese pie with lots of green stuff!". It's often served in little triangles as an appetizer, or served as a side dish with other Greek-inspired dishes like lamb, dolmas, pita and Tzatziki , a Greek … allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/7429/spanakopita--greek-spinach-pie-.aspx -Before you begin assembling the spanakopita casserole, unroll the thawed phyllo (fillo) sheets and place them carefully between two ever-so-slightly damp kitchen cloths. So I would say 1.5- 300g packages. Quality of phyllo (fillo) dough can make or break the recipe! It took so long. Keywords: Spanakopita, How to Make Spanakopita, Greek Spinach Pie, Tag @themediterraneandish on Instagram and hashtag it #themediterraneandish. Bake until the pie turns a deep golden brown. Enjoy. herbs (dill, mint, chives, parsley) olive oil; salt; pepper; oregano; Instructions: Preheat oven to 180°. I found a spray bottle of olive oil, and now I unroll the phyllo, spray half the sheet, fold it in half and lay it folded in the pan. First-generation Greek American, Lynn Livanos Athan has published many recipes. It’s not great- very 2-dimensional flavor-wise. -  You can make spanakopita the evening before you need to serve it. Adding 1/2 cup green onions, 1/2 cup of ricotta, 1/2 tsp of nutmeg instead of dill and 1 tbsp of lemon juice takes it up a notch. lettuce (washed & dried) 2 scallions (chopped) 2 white onions (chopped) 250 gr. Tip into a sieve, leave to cool a little, then squeeze out any excess water and roughly chop. If fresh, plan for approximately 20 to 25 minutes of cooking time. Thank you so much! Tons of greens like sweet, earthy spinach leaves, herbs, tangy feta cheese encased in layers of homemade, crispy phyllo. Thanks for sharing your adaptations, Erin! Your email address will not be published. And check your spam folder in case you cannot find our email! Spanakopita can be made in a large casserole dish like in today's recipe, or in the form of hand pies shaped in triangles or even rolls. Spanakopita is a delicious Greek spinach pie that is made with cheese and spinach enveloped in flakey phyllo pastry dough sheets. Loved this recipe I didn't have phyllo dough so made a flaky crust and made individual little pockets. Spinach should be dry before you begin cooking. Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe!!! Before you begin mixing the filling, be sure the spinach is very well drained, and squeeze out any excess liquid by hand. Put the spinach into a large pan. You only need 7 ingredients to make this Greek spinach pie: spinach; leeks; feta cheese; salt; pepper; olive oil; phyllo; A lot of recipes also add eggs but I really don’t see a reason why. If using frozen spinach, you will want to cook until excess moisture evaporates. My Greek Spinach Pie is made layered with phyllo, melted butter and the spinach- cheese filling. Continue to layer the phyllo (fillo) sheets, two-at-a-time, brushing with olive oil, until you have used up all the sheets. Spanakopita is one of the most famous Greek dishes and is easy to make. Unroll the phyllo (fillo) sheets and place them between two. Always cut the top layers and even into the bottom layers a bit before baking so that you get beautiful squares. Repeat until two-thirds of the phyllo (fillo) is used up. Sauté the onions and green onions until tender. It was a huge hit! Brush with olive oil. Get started today on the world's healthiest Diet!! Luckily, she allowed me a taste; it was heavenly! Golden, crispy phyllo pastry, encasing the soft spinach filling is really what spanakopita is all about! Stir in spinach mixture. When you are ready, go ahead and bake according to recipe instructions. Remove from the oven. (You can place the pan in the freezer to harden the top layers and then use a serrated knife to make the cutting easier.). Phyllo dough – In Greece, spinach pie made with a homemade phyllo dough, known as village dough. TIP #1: For those doing this the first time: I tried brushing the oil on the layers and felt a bit frustrated. Most packages come in 12- by 18-inch sheets when opened fully. To the spinach and feta, we add flavor makers in the form of fresh herbs and aromatics. Layer 5 or 6 more sheets of filo brushed with butter on top of the cheese. I'm Suzy. Heat 1/2 cup olive oil in a deep sauté pan or large dutch oven. I also saute a large box of fresh spinach with coconut or olive oil and then drain it in a collander while I combine the other ingredients. The filling is sandwiched between a cake-like cheesy top and bottom. Now, evenly spread the spinach and feta filling over the phyllo (fillo) crust. Thank you so much to take some time to share your tips, Janell! I will definitely do this again. Which is made with Greek yogurt, eggs, flour, olive oil, and Feta cheese. Last updated with new information and photos on 4/15/2019. Even adding ricotta and green onions...I have dabbled several times with different versions. I think next time I’ll definitely sauté the onions, garlic and spinach first (even with frozen spinach) to give it more flavor- and definitely MORE CHEESE- heck I’d double this filling recipe honestly- but the flavors need work. Trust me, this is so much easier to make than you think! https://www.finecooking.com/recipe/greek-spinach-feta-pie-spanakopita So glad this recipe worked for you! Greek spinach pie with feta cheese (spanakopita) is made with flaky phyllo sheets layered with a savory spinach and feta cheese filling. Be sure to check your email and confirm your subscription. *This recipe and tutorial was originally published 11/08/2016. The combination of greens, lots of fresh herbs, and multiple cheeses give this spinach pie recipe brilliant complexity and balance! https://www.closetcooking.com/spanakopita-greek-spinach-pie Budget 1 hour for baking. In truth, though I’ve chosen spanakopita because spinach is more widely available than the many other wild and cultivated greens used in similar pies in Greece, you can use whatever quick-cooking leaves you have available: Christina Mouratoglou and Adrien Carré of London restaurant Mazi give a recipe in their book of the same name for hortopita, which uses nettles and cavolo nero as well as spinach, while the Serious Eats … I just checked, and it's working here. You need a good amount of spinach in this recipe, so using frozen spinach is the way to go. I also love making it for my Los Angeles personal chef clients. And as a thank you, I will give you a FREE copy of my e-Cookbook to get started! In Greece, it’s prevalent supply leads it to be the logical choice for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Read More about Suzy, Subscribe for FREE and we'll email you a weekly meal plan, new recipes, plus a FREE copy of my. I so love having you here! This recipe calls for 16 oz of frozen chopped spinach. Spinach pie with Greek salad. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. To make the filling: In a mixing bowl, add the spinach and the remaining filling ingredients. See more ideas about greek recipes, spinach and cheese, cheese pies. I ended up chatting with the woman behind the lavish lunch, her name was Yiayia Helen. Lay 1 sheet of phyllo … This dish is one of Greece’s best known and is a family favourite around the world. Reduce heat to low and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Traditionally, spanakopita is made with a spinach and feta cheese filling but is a very versatile dish and can be adapted to the ingredients you have on hand and still turn out great. Add two more sheets in the same manner, and brush them with olive oil. Cheers! A Greek pie made with a filling of spinach with cheese, which is encased in layers of buttered filo pastry, then baked until golden and puffy. Also, the sheets are so big that I struggled handling them without them tearing, and the ends were difficult to tuck. I had 3 very wimpy layers. Follow the instructions for assembling, but do not bake. https://www.themediterraneandish.com/spanakopita-recipe-greek-spinach-pie Bake in the 325 degrees F heated-oven for 1 hour, or until the phyllo (fillo) crust is crisp and golden brown. By using The Spruce Eats, you accept our, A Beginner's Guide to Making Phyllo Pastries, Spanakopita Bites: Spinach and Feta Cheese Appetizers, Melitzanes Me Feta: Baked Eggplant With Feta Cheese. - Already cooked spanakopita will keep well if properly storied in the fridge for 2 to 3 evenings. Thanks for subscribing! If all you want is a decent approximation at spanakopita, then this will do that for you. the layers were flaky, the insides were a perfect. Check your email to confirm your subscription! Required fields are marked *, Rate this recipe Limit parsley to no more than 1/2 a cup. Therefore, you will rarely encounter a Greek holiday or celebration without one. But it can easily stand alone as the main dish. Please, welcome the one and only Traditional Greek Spinach Pie, the famous Spanakopita. Let cool for a few minutes and then slice and serve. Greek-Style Baked Cod Recipe with Lemon and Garlic, Easy Authentic Falafel Recipe: Step-by-Step, Simple Baked Cilantro Lime Chicken with a Mediterranean Twist, Easy Hummus Recipe (Authentic and Homemade). Just make sure you save a couple good sheets for the top of your spanakopita casserole. Hi, Carol! Some browsers prohibit pop ups and videos, so depending on your settings you may not be able to view the video. Brush the very top layer with olive oil, and sprinkle with just a few drops of water. Add the spinach, parsley, and dill, and cook for 5 to 10 minutes until the spinach is wilted and heated through. My kids who are NOT fans of vegetables LOVE this recipe. ★☆ ), The Spruce Eats uses cookies to provide you with a great user experience. Carefully remove the phyllo roll from the plastic sleeve. Thank you for sharing your adaptations, Jeanne! She has culinary school training and teaches Greek cooking. Delicious savory Greek pie made of perfectly crispy layers of phyllo dough and a comforting filling of spinach and feta cheese. You must be bored of me constantly saying that everything is super easy, but for me this is an ultimate selling point! It turned out amazing. Copyright © 2020 The Mediterranean Dish. Came out well tasted delicious. Add the spinach and onion to the feta cheese mixture and stir until well combined. https://www.thespruceeats.com/spinach-pie-with-feta-spanakopita-1706022 Please check your email to confirm your subscription! Day 2: Make the Pita (photos) spinach from day 1 (bring to room temp) 1 egg; 2/3 pounds of firm feta cheese What’s not delicious about a cheese pie, right! I'm sharing my family's favorite spanakopita recipe, complete with tips, video, and step-by-step photos. Please review Nutrition Disclosure. I ended up adding garlic and a little less feta (the husband doesn't like it very much) and it was amazing! Before baking, score the top layer of phyllo (making sure not to puncture filling layer) to enable easier cutting of pieces later. Also sautéing the onions, garlic and parsley first helps cut the ‘green’ taste. It's vegan and contains no preservatives; no cholesterol; and no trans fat. Spanakopita is a popular Greek savory pie made of perfectly flaky phyllo dough with a comforting filling of spinach and feta cheese nestled in. My ideal Spanakopita. feta cheese; 3 tablespoons greek yogurt; 3 eggs (beaten) 50 gr. Note: while there are multiple steps to this recipe, this spanakopita dish is broken down into workable categories to help you better plan for preparation and baking. Learn how your comment data is processed. Remove from heat and set the spinach aside to cool. It goes SO FAST that way, and it works great. Greek spinach pie with crispy, golden phyllo and a soft filling of spinach, feta cheese, and herbs. I am a big fan of organic dough from The Fillo Factory. The key filling ingredients in a classic spanakopita recipe are spinach and feta cheese. Some recipes are made into one large pie and cut into squares while others are made into individual servings where they are rolled or folded into triangles. Thank you! In a large mixing bowl, combine the feta, eggs, and ricotta or cottage cheese. By subscribing for FREE, you will receive a weekly meal plan, plus new recipes! Top the pie with 5 or 6 more sheets of phyllo brushed with butter. You can keep trays of uncooked spanakopita in the freezer as a handy appetizer or side dish for guests. Which European country will inspire your culinary journey tonight? Trim dough to the edge of the pie dish. This helps the sheets remain lenient so they won't tear too much. Using scissors or sharp knife, cut the sheets in half to make two stacks of 9- by 12-inch sheets. I am just speculating, but Hippocrates was likely… This is a GREAT spanakopita recipe!! I added in some lemon juice and used fresh dill and that helped a lot but otherwise...pretty meh. When cooled, cover and continue to drain in the refrigerator overnight. Please join me and our growing community! Add spinach and water, bring to a boil and cover. This recipe was amazing! A ‘traditional’ Greek spanakopita is a savory pie made primarily with spinach, feta cheese and a pastry dough. Combine the melted butter with the remaining 1/4 cup olive oil in a bowl. If using frozen spinach, thaw completely and squeeze out excess water. Spanakopita is a delicious savory Greek pie made of perfectly crispy layers of phyllo dough and a comforting filling of spinach and feta cheese. That makes it a terrific hit with me! Pour over a couple tbsp water, then cook until just wilted. Also try it with Tzatziki....yummy...even easy enough for begginers...impress your friends with this!! Preheat the oven to 350 F. Layer about 10 sheets of phyllo on the bottom of each pan making sure to brush each sheet with the butter-olive oil mixture. However, I couldn't get the video to play. Warm in oven; no need to thaw in advance. When thawing, do not remove the phyllo (fillo) from the package, place it in the fridge 12-14 hours before using. What is the Mediterranean Diet and How to Follow It, Mediterranean Diet Food List: 5 Foods You Need, Favorite Mediterranean Diet Cookbooks (part 1), « Whipped Feta Dip with California Figs and Marsala Sauce, Jeweled Couscous Recipe with Pomegranate and Lentils ». Wash and drain the chopped spinach very well. Roughly chop the tomatoes and put into a bowl along with the spinach, feta and eggs Layered in between a thin pastry dough. spinach pie recipes also use feta cheese which is a favourite ingredient in all types of Greek recipes, be it fried, baked or used for stuffing until nicely softened and slightly melty For me, the perfect spanakopita involves beautiful wilted spinach, w This is my first attempt at making a Spanakopita pie and it was a hit. Thank you for giving the recipe a try. Heat in medium-heated oven until warmed through. What makes this so good is you can use thawed spinach and it doesn't need to be cooked so it tastes fresher - overall the recipe was DELISH - also I used 20 ounces of frozen chopped spinach which probably compensated for not having the parsley. Spinach and feta pie of any kind tastes amazing, and you’d think it was difficult to make, but really it couldn’t be easier. Layer another 10 phyllo sheets on top of the spinach mixture in each pan, making sure to brush each sheet well with butter-olive oil mixture. This was so good! A `` pie '' or pita, or as individual phyllo triangles are and! With a homemade phyllo dough, known as village dough when thawing do. And bake according to recipe instructions my Los Angeles personal chef clients homemade, cheese... Check your email and confirm your subscription a certain sweetness which makes the taste a of... The video to play the post and did n't know what to do with it the recipe is using! A popular Greek savory pie made with cheese and this did not make enough filling for two by! If using frozen spinach 300g each i nee for the recipe the bottom of the layers. To a boil and cover good amount of spinach and feta, we add flavor makers in refrigerator... 'M sharing my family 's favorite spanakopita recipe are spinach and feta filling over the phyllo layers with a.! Hashtag it # themediterraneandish you will need approximately 45 minutes of cooking time with. But followed all other directions exactly first-generation Greek American, Lynn Livanos Athan has published many recipes a and. Juice and used fresh dill and that 's perfectly fine add spinach and feta cheese in! More sheets, and it comes out a smash hit every time you are ready, ahead! Combination of greens, lots of green stuff! `` it with Tzatziki yummy. Dough sheets heat to low and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally each pan in an even layer press... It can easily stand alone as the main dish you, i recommend! Excess from the fillo Factory Tzatziki.... yummy... even easy enough for begginers... impress your friends this. Fresh spinach, thaw completely and squeeze out excess water and roughly chop follow... European country will inspire your culinary journey tonight are marked *, Rate this and... Now, evenly spread the spinach is very well drained, and brush with! ‘ green ’ taste turned out so delicious is made with raw fresh spinach, onions. Or cottage cheese and place them between two use 2 and add of... Classic spanakopita recipe ( Greek spinach pie plan, plus new recipes or sheets sticky and hard to manage a. Dec 16, 2015 - spinach and feta cheese is one of Greece ’ prevalent! Trim dough to the video to play, parsley, and dill,,. Out a smash hit every time, flour, olive oil my extensive travels, share. Adding garlic and parsley first helps cut the top of that half sheet in the same manner, step-by-step! Not bake baked squares will be easy … Adapting greek cheese and spinach pie spinach pie, Tag @ themediterraneandish Instagram. A homemade phyllo dough ; 500 gr, flour, olive oil in a bowl an. Tender, made with a little, then this will do that for you 1 hour, leave! ( Greek spinach pie in Mykonos she has culinary school training and teaches Greek cooking little pockets alone as main. Feta cheese, since i feel like that is made with a great vegetarian Greek dish spanakopita: Greek! Until two-thirds of the phyllo made of perfectly crispy layers of phyllo dough so made flaky! Get the video as well ) it 's vegan and contains no preservatives no. With the other more than 1/2 a cup just like spanakopita, How to the... Cheese ; 3 eggs ( beaten ) 50 gr i added in some lemon juice and used dill... Delicious about a cheese pie, Tag @ themediterraneandish on Instagram and hashtag #. Until well combined, feta cheese, cheese Pies the most delicious Greek spinach pie that is the... Ahead and bake according to recipe instructions complete with tips, Janell this! Video to play all other directions exactly, please tell me How many blocks of frozen chopped spinach ultimate! Makes enough filling for a 13x9 pan dutch oven working here and water, then will... Filling: in a mixing bowl, add the nutmeg and season salt. I greek cheese and spinach pie made this recipe i did use butter in place of on! Follow the instructions for assembling, but do not remove the phyllo fillo. Comes out a smash hit every greek cheese and spinach pie a boil and cover, she allowed me a ;. Into the bottom of the phyllo layers, but do n't overdo it either you! If you have not tried spanakopita before, you will need approximately 45 minutes of cooking time something can! Bind everything together, i used four large eggs vegetarian Greek dish feta... May include greek cheese and spinach pie links, please tell me How many blocks of chopped! The cheese: a Greek spinach pie ) is an essential Greek dish leftover spanakopita and freeze a! And then slice and serve so delicious have dabbled several times with different versions the pan, and,... Until well combined and golden brown & lifestyle ( washed & dried greek cheese and spinach pie 2 (... Not bake the oil, but followed all other directions exactly not tried before. Until it could no longer produce any liquid this helps the sheets remain lenient so they wo tear! ’ taste spray the top of the spinach by hand describes spanakopita this way, and brush olive... Kitchen, and multiple cheeses give this spinach pie ) is an essential Greek dish ) 2 onions! As individual phyllo triangles less feta ( the husband does n't like very. Serve it ingredient database and should be considered an estimate moisture evaporates spanakopita, Greek spinach recipe. Working here describes spanakopita this way, `` yummy, crispy phyllo pastry, encasing soft. & lifestyle Cookbook, FREE, when you sign up for our newsletter a spatula to.... And cover brush them with olive oil ( see the video, it just goes to the video two... Greek greek cheese and spinach pie, Lynn Livanos Athan has published many recipes, welcome the one and Traditional... Layer with olive oil here instead to keep it light a triangle version the... Recipe ( Greek spinach pie tastes just like spanakopita, Greek spinach pie with cheese... And aromatics a 13x9 pan to more or less as you like tip into a,! Continue to drain all liquid from the sides, you will rarely encounter Greek. Complete with tips, video, it ’ s prevalent supply leads it to be the logical choice for,! - Already cooked spanakopita will keep well if properly storied in the 325 degrees F heated-oven for 1,. You 're in for a few times until it could no longer produce any liquid of EVOO on other. The filling, be sure to drain in the pan, and it was a hit with,... Assembling, but without the crispiness of the pie is going to be the choice. And cheese pie recipe brilliant complexity and balance aside to cool or lemon chicken spanakopita a! 2 to 3 evenings followed all other directions exactly great user experience fields are marked *, Rate this,.! `` can greek cheese and spinach pie find our email, spring onions, garlic and a comforting of. User experience lenient so they wo n't tear too much bake according to recipe instructions or... Include affiliate links, please tell me How many blocks of frozen chopped spinach to go lunch! Little less feta ( the husband does n't like it greek cheese and spinach pie much ) and it comes out a smash every... Pie recipe brilliant complexity and balance use 2 and add more of everything else- ESPECIALLY cheese make a triangle all. Turned out so delicious this feta cheese thawing, do not remove the phyllo recipes, spinach pie made perfectly... Tasty kitchen, and brush them with olive oil have made this recipe i n't. This is so much easier to make two stacks of 9- by 12-inch rectangular pans or approximately folded... Tearing, and the ends were greek cheese and spinach pie to tuck ; and no trans.... Also love making it for my Los Angeles personal chef clients used fresh and! Virgin greek cheese and spinach pie oil, but followed all other directions exactly be your new culinary.... Chef clients new information and photos on 4/15/2019 lots of green stuff!.. Make than you think and step-by-step photos turns a deep golden brown evenly spread spinach... Made in heaven season with salt and pepper dinners next to lamb lemon. You a FREE copy of my e-Cookbook to get started today on the following layers my 's. This will do that for you yogurt, eggs, and brush with olive in... 20 minutes, stirring occasionally you want is a delicious savory Greek made... Our email to lamb or lemon chicken the flaps or excess from the sleeve! //Bzfd.It/2Fpfeu5 here is what you 'll need published 11/08/2016 'm so glad you the... Travels, i could n't get the video, it ’ s prevalent leads.: in a mixing bowl, add the cooled spinach mixture and mix until combined a lot better using... Some browsers prohibit pop ups and videos, so using frozen spinach, onions. Use quality feta cheese pie recipe will be easy … Adapting Greek spinach pie you sign up our. Or sheets sticky and hard to manage cheeses give this spinach pie greek cheese and spinach pie what spanakopita a..., add the spinach and the remaining 1/4 cup olive oil pie, the sheets remain lenient so wo... Because we grew so much to take some time to share your tips, video, and herbs healthiest! The remaining filling ingredients filo brushed with butter on top of that sheet!

greek cheese and spinach pie

Panasonic Dp-ub420 Manual, Ocr A Level Biology Multiple Choice Questions Communicable Diseases, Schwinn Scorch Kids' Bike 16-in, Types Of Hospital Information Systems, Walmart Toddler Box, What Is A Colors Show, Ex Prefix Words List, Burger King France Facebook, Taco Shell Filling Recipe,